Is SolidWorks CAM Free With SolidWorks?
If you’re a SolidWorks user, you might be wondering if SolidWorks CAM is included for free with your software. In this article, we’ll dive into the details and answer this question for you.
What is SolidWorks CAM?
SolidWorks CAM is a powerful computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) solution that integrates seamlessly with SolidWorks CAD software. It provides advanced capabilities for generating toolpaths directly within the familiar SolidWorks environment.
Types of SolidWorks CAM
There are two types of SolidWorks CAM available:
- SolidWorks CAM Standard:
- SolidWorks CAM Professional:
SolidWorks CAM Standard is included with every seat of SolidWorks 2018 and newer software. It offers 2.5-axis milling and turning functionality, allowing users to generate toolpaths for simple parts.
SolidWorks CAM Professional, on the other hand, provides more advanced capabilities including 3-axis milling, high-speed machining (HSM), and support for complex parts. It is available as an add-on product for an additional cost.
Is SolidWorks CAM Free?
The answer to whether SolidWorks CAM is free depends on which version of SolidWorks you own.
If you have a license of SolidWorks 2018 or newer, then you will have access to the basic functionality of SolidWorks CAM Standard at no extra cost. This means you can generate toolpaths for simple parts without needing to purchase any additional software.
However, if you require more advanced features like 3-axis milling or HSM, you will need to purchase SolidWorks CAM Professional separately. This add-on provides additional functionality and extends the capabilities of SolidWorks CAM.
Benefits of SolidWorks CAM
SolidWorks CAM offers several benefits to SolidWorks users, including:
- Seamless Integration: SolidWorks CAM is fully integrated within the SolidWorks environment, allowing for easy transition between design and manufacturing.
- Time Savings: By generating toolpaths directly within SolidWorks, you can save time by eliminating the need for data translation or rework.
- Increase Efficiency: With SolidWorks CAM, you can automate repetitive tasks and optimize machining processes, leading to increased efficiency in your manufacturing workflow.
- Better Collaboration: Since both design and manufacturing are done within the same software, collaboration between designers and machinists becomes easier and more efficient.
SolidWorks CAM provides powerful manufacturing capabilities that seamlessly integrate with SolidWorks CAD software. While SolidWorks CAM Standard is included for free with SolidWorks 2018 or newer licenses, more advanced features require the purchase of SolidWorks CAM Professional. Regardless of which version you have access to, utilizing SolidWorks CAM can improve your manufacturing process by saving time, increasing efficiency, and promoting better collaboration.