Can You Open Edrawing in SolidWorks?
If you are familiar with SolidWorks, you might have come across the term “eDrawings” at some point. eDrawings is a software tool developed by SolidWorks that allows users to view, share, and collaborate on 2D and 3D CAD models and drawings. It provides an interactive environment for visualizing designs without the need for the original CAD software.
What is eDrawings?
eDrawings is a lightweight software application that enables you to open and view design files created in various CAD formats, including SolidWorks. It supports a wide range of file types such as SLDPRT, SLDASM, DWG, DXF, and many more.
One of the advantages of using eDrawings is its ability to open large assembly files quickly. It allows you to rotate, zoom in/out, pan, and even animate your designs effortlessly. Moreover, eDrawings has powerful markup tools that enable users to add comments, notes, dimensions, and other annotations directly on the model.
How to Open Edrawing Files in SolidWorks
To open an eDrawing file in SolidWorks:
- Launch SolidWorks on your computer.
- Go to the “File” menu.
- Select “Open” from the drop-down menu.
- In the “Open” dialog box, navigate to the location where your eDrawing file is saved.
- Change the file type filter to “eDrawings Files (*.eprt; *.easm; *.edrw)”.
- Select the desired eDrawing file you want to open.
- Click on the “Open” button.
Viewing and Interacting with eDrawings in SolidWorks
Once you have opened the eDrawing file in SolidWorks, you can interact with it just like any other SolidWorks file. You can manipulate the model, change views, apply measurements, and perform various operations using the tools available in SolidWorks.
Note: While you can open an eDrawing file in SolidWorks, it is important to remember that eDrawings is primarily designed as a viewer and collaboration tool. Although you can make changes to the eDrawing file in SolidWorks, it is recommended to use the original CAD software for any substantial modifications or design edits.
The Benefits of Using eDrawings
eDrawings offers several benefits to users working with CAD data:
- User-Friendly Interface: The intuitive interface of eDrawings makes it easy for anyone to navigate and view complex designs without extensive training.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: eDrawings is available on Windows, Mac OS, iOS, and Android platforms. This cross-platform compatibility ensures that your design files can be viewed on different devices.
- Secure File Sharing: With eDrawings, you can securely share your design files via email or other file-sharing methods. You have control over who can access and edit your designs.
- Enhanced Collaboration: The markup tools in eDrawings facilitate effective collaboration by allowing users to provide feedback, annotations, and suggestions directly on the model.
In conclusion, yes, you can open an eDrawing file in SolidWorks. It provides a convenient way to review and share your design files with others, even if they don’t have access to the original CAD software. eDrawings is an invaluable tool for collaboration and communication in the world of CAD.