How Do I Change the Middle Mouse Button in SolidWorks?
When using SolidWorks, the default functionality of the middle mouse button is set to the “Zoom to Fit” command. However, you may find it more convenient to change this default behavior to something else that suits your workflow better. In this tutorial, we will explore how to change the middle mouse button function in SolidWorks.
Step 1: Accessing the Mouse Gestures
To modify the middle mouse button function, we need to access the Mouse Gestures settings. Follow these steps:
- Open SolidWorks and go to Tools in the top menu.
- Select Customize, and then click on Customize...
- In the Customize dialog box, select the Mouse Gestures tab.
Step 2: Editing a Mouse Gesture
Once you have accessed the Mouse Gestures settings, you can proceed with editing the middle mouse button function:
- In the Mouse Gestures tab, locate and click on the Edit. button next to “Button3” (which represents the middle mouse button).
- A new dialog box titled “Edit Mouse Gesture” will appear.
Step 3: Choosing a New Function
In this step, you can choose a new function for your middle mouse button:
- In the “Edit Mouse Gesture” dialog box, click on the drop-down menu under “Function”.
- Select one of the available functions that you want to assign to the middle mouse button. For example, you can choose “Pan” to enable panning of the model with middle mouse button movement.
Once you have selected the desired function, click on OK to save the changes and close the dialog box.
Step 4: Testing the New Middle Mouse Button Function
To ensure that the new function has been successfully assigned to the middle mouse button, follow these steps:
- Click on OK in the Customize dialog box.
- In SolidWorks, try using the middle mouse button based on your newly assigned function. For example, if you chose “Pan”, use the middle mouse button to pan around your model.
If you ever wish to revert back to the default “Zoom to Fit” command for your middle mouse button or change it again in the future, simply follow this tutorial and choose “Zoom to Fit” as your desired function in Step 3.
Congratulations! You have successfully changed the middle mouse button function in SolidWorks. By customizing this functionality, you can streamline your workflow and improve efficiency while working with this powerful CAD software.