Opening SLDDRW Files in AutoCAD
AutoCAD is a popular software used for creating 2D and 3D designs. It supports various file formats, including SLDDRW files.
SLDDRW files are created using SolidWorks, a 3D CAD software. In this tutorial, we will guide you through the process of opening SLDDRW files in AutoCAD.
Step 1: Convert the SLDDRW File to DXF Format
In order to open an SLDDRW file in AutoCAD, you need to convert it to a compatible format like DXF (Drawing Exchange Format). Follow these steps to convert the file:
- Launch SolidWorks and open the SLDDRW file you want to convert.
- Click on “File” in the menu bar and select “Save As”.
- In the “Save as type” drop-down menu, choose “Drawing (*.dxf)”.
- Specify the location where you want to save the converted file and click “Save”.
- A dialog box will appear with options for exporting the DXF file. Make sure to select the appropriate options based on your requirements and click “OK”.
Note: The conversion process may take some time depending on the complexity of the drawing.
Step 2: Open the DXF File in AutoCAD
Once you have converted your SLDDRW file to DXF format, follow these steps to open it in AutoCAD:
- Launch AutoCAD and go to “File” in the menu bar.
- Select “Open” from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the location where you saved your converted DXF file.
- Select the file and click “Open”.
Note: If the SLDDRW file contained 3D data, it may not be fully compatible with AutoCAD, as AutoCAD is primarily a 2D drafting software. However, you can still open and view the 2D elements of the drawing.
In this tutorial, we have learned how to open SLDDRW files in AutoCAD. By converting the SLDDRW file to DXF format, you can easily import it into AutoCAD and work with the 2D elements of the drawing. Remember that while some 3D data may not be fully compatible, you can still access and edit the 2D components of the design in AutoCAD.
Now that you know how to open SLDDRW files in AutoCAD, you can seamlessly work with drawings created in SolidWorks without any compatibility issues.