In this tutorial, we will explore how to view SolidWorks files for free. SolidWorks is a popular computer-aided design (CAD) software used by professionals in various industries.
However, not everyone has access to the software or wants to invest in it just to view files. Thankfully, there are several options available that allow you to view SolidWorks files without spending a dime.
Option 1: eDrawings Viewer
If you only need to view SolidWorks files occasionally, the eDrawings Viewer is a great choice. This free software allows you to open and view SolidWorks files, as well as other popular CAD file formats. The eDrawings Viewer is lightweight and easy to use, making it perfect for non-engineering professionals who want to collaborate with colleagues or clients.
How to use eDrawings Viewer:
- Download and install the eDrawings Viewer from the official website.
- Open the software and click on “Open” in the toolbar.
- Navigate to the location of your SolidWorks file and select it.
- The file will open in the viewer, allowing you to rotate, zoom, measure dimensions, and more.
Option 2: DraftSight
If you require more advanced features than what eDrawings Viewer offers or need to edit DWG files, DraftSight is an excellent alternative. DraftSight is a free 2D CAD software that supports opening and viewing SolidWorks files along with other file formats like DWG and DXF.
How to use DraftSight:
- Download and install DraftSight from the official website.
- Open the software and click on “File” in the menu bar.
- Select “Open” and navigate to the location of your SolidWorks file.
- Choose the file and click on “Open.”
- The file will open in DraftSight, allowing you to view, edit, and annotate the drawing.
Option 3: Online CAD Viewers
If you prefer not to install any software on your computer, there are also online CAD viewers available. These web-based viewers allow you to upload SolidWorks files directly from your browser without any installation required. Some popular online CAD viewers include AutoCAD 360, Fusion 360, and Onshape.
How to use an online CAD viewer:
- Visit the website of your chosen online CAD viewer.
- Create an account if necessary or sign in with your existing account.
- Upload your SolidWorks file to the viewer.
- The file will be processed and displayed in the viewer interface.
- You can then explore the file using various tools provided by the online viewer.
By utilizing these free options, you can easily view SolidWorks files without having to purchase or install expensive software. Whether you choose eDrawings Viewer, DraftSight, or an online CAD viewer, each option provides a user-friendly interface for viewing and interacting with SolidWorks files. So go ahead and give them a try!