Measuring is an essential skill in AutoCAD, allowing you to accurately determine distances, angles, and dimensions of various elements within your design. In this tutorial, we will explore the different methods and commands available for measuring in AutoCAD.
1. Using the Distance Command
The Distance command is one of the simplest ways to measure in AutoCAD.
To use this command, follow these steps:
- Type “DIST” in the command line or select Draw > Line > Distance.
- Select the first point by clicking on a specific location in your drawing.
- Select the second point by clicking on another location. The distance between these two points will be displayed in the command line.
2. Using Object Snaps
If you want to measure a specific distance between two existing objects accurately, using object snaps is highly recommended:
- Enable object snaps by clicking on the “OSNAP” button on the status bar or by pressing “F3“.
- Select a specific object snap mode such as Endpoint, Midpoint, Intersection, etc., depending on where you want to measure from.
- Select the first object by snapping to its desired point using an object snap mode.
- Select the second object by snapping to its desired point using another object snap mode.
- The distance between these two points will be displayed in the command line.
3. Measuring Angles with Angular Dimensioning
Angular dimensioning allows you to measure angles between two lines or edges. Follow these steps to measure angles:
- Type “DIMANGULAR” in the command line or select Annotate > Dimension > Angular.
- Select the first line or edge by clicking on it.
- Select the second line or edge by clicking on it.
- The measured angle will be displayed and positioned accordingly.
4. Measuring Dimensions with Dimensioning Tools
Dimensioning tools allow you to measure distances between different objects accurately. Here’s how to use them:
- Type “DIMLINEAR” in the command line or select Annotate > Dimension > Linear.
- Select the first point of the dimension line by clicking on a location in your drawing.
- Select the second point of the dimension line by clicking on another location.
- The measured distance will be displayed, and a dimension line will be created between the two points.
With these methods and commands at your disposal, measuring in AutoCAD becomes a breeze. Whether it’s distances, angles, or dimensions, AutoCAD provides a range of tools to help you accurately measure and annotate your designs.