What Is Revolve Command in AutoCAD?
In AutoCAD, the Revolve command is a powerful tool that allows you to create three-dimensional objects by revolving a 2D profile around an axis. This command is particularly useful for creating symmetrical objects such as bottles, vases, and other cylindrical shapes.
How to Use the Revolve Command
To use the Revolve command in AutoCAD, follow these steps:
- Create a 2D Profile: Start by creating a closed polyline or any closed shape that represents the profile of the object you want to revolve. This profile should be drawn in the XY plane.
- Access the Revolve Command: Type “Revolve” in the command line or navigate to the “Revolve” tool in the “Modeling” panel of the ribbon.
- Select Objects: Select the closed shape(s) you want to revolve. Multiple profiles can be selected simultaneously if needed.
- Select Axis: Specify an axis around which you want to revolve your profile.
You can choose between three options: “X,” “Y,” or “Z.” Alternatively, you can select two points to define a custom axis.
- Set Angle: Define the angle at which you want to revolve your profile. The default is 360 degrees for a complete revolution.
- Choose Options: AutoCAD offers additional options such as creating a solid or surface object, removing or keeping source objects after revolution, and specifying whether to smooth edges or not.
- Preview and Confirm: Once you have set all the parameters, preview the result and press “Enter” or click “OK” to confirm and create the revolved object.
Tips for Using the Revolve Command
Here are some helpful tips for using the Revolve command effectively:
- Profile Accuracy: Ensure that your 2D profile is accurate and closed. Any gaps or overlaps in the profile may result in unexpected outcomes.
- Use Reference Geometry: If needed, you can create reference geometry such as construction lines or circles to aid in drawing your profile accurately.
- Experiment with Angles: The Revolve command allows you to specify different angles for revolving your profile.
Don’t hesitate to experiment with various angles to achieve your desired shape.
- Edit Profiles: After creating a revolved object, you can still edit its source profiles. Simply use the Edit Polyline or any other editing tools to modify the underlying geometry.
The Revolve command is a valuable tool in AutoCAD that enables you to create three-dimensional objects by revolving a 2D profile around an axis. By following a few simple steps, you can easily generate complex shapes with precision.
Remember to pay attention to profile accuracy, utilize reference geometry when necessary, and explore various angle options for optimal results. Now go ahead and unleash your creativity using the Revolve command!