A revolved boss is a feature in SolidWorks that allows you to create a solid object by revolving a sketch around an axis. This feature is particularly useful for creating round or cylindrical shapes, such as screws, bolts, or even simple cups.
Creating a Revolved Boss
To create a revolved boss in SolidWorks, follow these steps:
- Create a Sketch: Start by creating a 2D sketch on the desired plane where you want to create the revolved boss. You can use various sketch tools available in SolidWorks, such as lines, circles, arcs, and splines.
- Define Centerline: Next, define the centerline or axis around which you want to revolve the sketch. This axis can be created using the line or centerline tool.
- Select Revolve Boss/Base: Once your sketch and centerline are defined, go to the Features tab and select the “Revolve Boss/Base” command. Alternatively, you can also access this command from the right-click menu on your sketch.
- Select Sketch and Axis: In the Revolve Boss/Base command window, select your sketch and axis by simply clicking on them.
Make sure to choose the correct options such as angle or direction of revolution based on your requirements.
- Tweak Additional Options: SolidWorks provides additional options to customize your revolved boss. You can define features like draft angles, thin wall thicknesses, merging options with existing geometry, and more.
- Preview and Confirm: Finally, preview your revolved boss in the graphics area to ensure it meets your design intent. If everything looks good, click “OK” to create the revolved boss feature.
Advantages of Using Revolved Boss
The revolved boss feature in SolidWorks offers several advantages:
- Efficient Modeling: Revolving a sketch saves time and effort compared to creating complex 3D geometries from scratch. It is an efficient way to create symmetric objects.
- Parametric Design: The revolved boss feature is based on sketches, which are fully parametric.
This means you can easily modify the sketch dimensions and regenerate the model, updating all related features automatically.
- Design Flexibility: With the revolved boss feature, you have control over various parameters like angle, axis, and additional options. This allows you to create a wide range of shapes and adapt them to your specific design requirements.
- Editing Capabilities: After creating the revolved boss feature, you can still edit the sketch or axis used for revolve. This flexibility enables easy modifications without starting from scratch.
Tips for Using Revolved Boss Effectively
To make the most out of the revolved boss feature in SolidWorks, consider these tips:
- Create Symmetric Sketches: Ensure that your sketch is symmetric about the centerline or axis to achieve symmetrical revolved bosses.
- Avoid Self-intersections: Be cautious while sketching profiles that might intersect themselves during revolution. Such intersections can lead to invalid geometry.
- Utilize Sketch Relations: Take advantage of SolidWorks’ sketch relations like coincident points, tangency, and symmetry to create precise and well-defined sketches for the revolved boss.
- Experiment with Additional Features: Explore other SolidWorks features like fillets, chamfers, patterns, and shells to enhance the design of your revolved boss.
With the revolved boss feature in SolidWorks, you can easily create complex geometries by revolving a simple 2D sketch around an axis. This feature not only saves time but also provides design flexibility and editing capabilities. By following the steps mentioned above and considering the tips, you can effectively utilize this feature to create impressive designs in SolidWorks.